Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Large painful lump on ear. What is the cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14968 Questions
my husband has a goiter like lump by his ear. It is getting quite large, very painful and weeps. Can you please advise what it is and what it might be caused by?
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The lump may be an abscess (collection of pus in a confined space) or a cyst , for example a sebaceous cyst (these are cysts whose origin are the glands within the skin).
Both of these require surgical treatment which normally involves incision and drainage (for the abscess) and excision (for the cyst).In addition antibiotics would be given.
It would be best, if possible, for you husband to visit his doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor