Large circular red area with a bump above penis. Could it be clamydia or gonnorhea?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: I have what I believe is either clamydia or gonnorhea. I also a have a large circular red area above my penis by my pubic hair which seems to have a bump in it. THis red area is of the most concern as I can certainly cure the others with antibiotics. It doesn't look like syphillis bujt it certainly is something
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

You are suffering from large circular red area with a bump above your penis.
There are several possibilities like simple skin eruption/ring worm infestation (if itching persists)/Genital warts or Herpes.
A clinical examination for enlargement of inguinal lymph node, if any, would be require to confirm on the cause.

In case of Syphilis, there will be painless single ulcer on the shaft of the penis but your symptoms are not suggestive of that.
In case of Chlamydia or gonorrhea, there will be urethral discharge with burning sensation in urine. However, those are not likely either.

You may require investigations like Complete STD profile including VDRL test, Antibody to HSV 1 & 2 etc along with Urine routine and microscopy & Culture to confirm diagnosis and exclude other pathogens.

Consult with Dermatologist/ Venereologist for taking suggestive measures.

You may need to use anti fungal/ Hydrocortisone ointment locally. Maintain good personal hygiene. Take protective measures or use condom.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E