Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Large bulge remaining after laproscopy for ventral hernia. Doctor says muscle weakness. Want second opinion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 77 Questions
I am a 63 year old male. I have had two prvious laproscopic stomach surgerys; removal of a bad gall bladder, and removal of a cancerous prostate using the Da Vinci method. After the return of my prostate cancer 4 years after my prostatectomy I did a 3 month course of radiation. I have been in remission for a year. 6 months ago I started to notice a bluge that continued to get larger 6 or 7 inches above my naval. After consulting my doctor a surgeon performed yet another laproscopic procedure to reapir what was diagnosed as a Ventral hernia. That was 6 weeks ago. Post surgery I still have the rather large bulge in the same area. The surgeon says not to worry that it is just muscle weakness. All info I have been able to find on internet says if I still have the bulge the hernia is still there. My GP and Surgeon say otherwise. Is it possible to still have the large bulge after a laprosocpic repair for a ventral hernia
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 5 hours later
Hi Jsoflin

Thanks for chosing health care magic.

I would like to know is the bulge same as before surgery?

Why I am asking is because in some situations like these, the hernia is repaired but the muscles in the midline of abdomen get weak due to the stretch of the hernial sac and this is called diverication of rectii muscles and this also presents as bulge in abdome but less conspicious as compared to that of hernia..

Looking forward to your reply..

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Large bulge remaining after laproscopy for ventral hernia. Doctor says muscle weakness. Want second opinion 2 hours later
Yes the bulge is in same area and same size as prior to heirnia repair. The area feels weak like I've been doing sit ups and aches and almost hurts when I rollover or get up out of bed or a chair from sitting as well as when I bend over. My whole stomach area is very flabby. Is the bulge permanent then, or what can be done about it?
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 39 minutes later

You need to be examined by a surgeon to make out whether it is a recurrent hernia or divarication of rectii.

In case of hernia, re-surgery for repair of hernia will be helpful.

And in case of divarication, treatment depends upon how symptomatic you are. If it is causing too much pain, then muscle advancement surgery can be done.

But, again I would suggest, first you consult and get yourself examined by a surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Do let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor