Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Lack of focus and concentration, tired. Dietary supplements like omega-3 and ginko are good? If not please suggest.

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10278 Questions
Here my problem is lack of focus and concentration.
I am a working professional. Apart from daily job of approx 8 hours a day, I am also preparing for competitive exams to go-ahead in my career and achieve goal. But I feel I am unable to put focus on what I want to practice for exams. I feel stressed and tired from my work, and when I get home I don't feel likely to study and prepare for exams.
I do gym/work-out, not daily but at-least 3 days a week. I feel active and good, but when it comes to put my mind to study I feel lazy and lacking focus. I come to know about some supplements like Omega - 3 , Ginkgo Biloba, and I studied the reviews that the results are good. Here what I want to know from you/Doctor:

Is the dietary supplements like Omega - 3 and Ginkgo are good?
If yes, then which one I should go for, and where can I buy these supplements?
If no, what do you recommend me to improve my focus and concentration?

Please note: I am 25 yrs old. I am a non-veg. But I don't eat Fish, not because I am elergic to it but I dis-like the taste.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
To enhance the focus and concentration, there are many brain activities like quizzes, word puzzles, regular exercise, adequate sleep, etc which help considerably. You cannot extract a good concentration after the day's work. Concentrate on your studies in the early morning instead.
Both Ginkgo biloba and omega -3 fatty acids have been proven to increase neuronal connections in the brain. You can take these supplements which are available over the counter at most of the pharmacies. An Ayurveda specialist will help you in recommending the specific doses and schedule for you.
If you’re not a fan of fish, consider turning to fish oil supplements. Other non-fish sources of omega-3s include walnuts, ground flaxseed, flaxseed oil, pumpkin seeds, and soybeans.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lack of focus and concentration, tired. Dietary supplements like omega-3 and ginko are good? If not please suggest. 3 hours later

If possible could you please give me the contact details of an Ayurveda Specialist in Bangalore? Sorry for troubling you for this; I am new to this city.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I am sorry. I do not have any personal references of alternative medical expert. Yet you may find a good Ayurvedacharya nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor as per your requirement at
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor