Lab results show RBC-3.45, HGB-99, HCT 29. Does this indicate any permanent damage to bone marrow?

Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi. I'm anemic and an ex-alcoholic who drank heavily for 35 years. I've been sober now for 2 years. On my last test results the pathologist put a note saying I was normochromic normocytic anemic. RBC morphology was essentially normal. My lab results were RBC - 3.45, HGB-99, HCT 29. Could I have caused permanent damage to my bone marrow?
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normocytic normochromic anaemia Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thank you for referring your query to health care magic, Your blood report certainly suggests that you are anaemic. The cause is not due to bone marrow depression but I think you have may have damaged your liver. In bone marrow depression there will be depression of all forms of cells produced by bone marrow. Total leukocyte count will also fall and platelets will also come down. Your report don't seem so. Off course you will need to review all your blood counts to confirm what I just said. In my opinion, you should have liver functions done. In case there is deficiency of any component in the body produced by the liver, it should be replenished and possibly your anaemia will disappear unless there is total failure of liver. In addition you need to have your coagulation profile done to rule out the possibility of blood diathesis which is very common in liver damage. Any way please be informed and be happy that your bone marrow is safe. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jawahar Ticku 5 days later
Hi. Thanks for your informative answer. I'm glad it's not my bone marrow. My liver tests, ultra sound and ct scan all show my liver to be normal. I have had numerous uti's over the past couple of years and I know that that can cause anemia. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anaemia Detailed Answer: DEAR XXXXX, THANK YOU FOR REVERTING. YOU ARE RIGHT THAT RECURRENT INFECTIONS LIKE UTI IN THE BODY DOES GIVE RISE TO ANAEMIA PARTICULARLY IF THERE IS SOME EFFECT ON THE KIDNEYS FOR WHICH I ADVISE YOU TO HAVE YOUR BUN AND SERUM CREATININE LEVEL DONE. REGARDING YOUR ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION, I WILL SAY THAT ANATOMICALLY THERE MIGHT NOT BE ANY ABNORMALITY BUT FUNCTIONALLY ALSO THERE SHOULD BE NO ANOMALY WHICH CAN BE APPRECIATED BY LIVER FUNCTION TESTS ONLY. SECONDLY YOUR DIFFERENTIAL COUNT OF BLOOD IS NOT THERE TO SUGGEST THAT AT THE MOMENT ARE YOU STILL HAVING UTI. I AM HAPPY AND SO SHOULD BE YOU THAT THE BLOOD PICTURE YOU HAVE GIVEN IS NOT A MATTER OF CONCERN FOR ANY SERIOUSNESS BUT SHOULD BE KEPT UNDER OBSERVATION. TRULY, DR. J. TICKU
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D