Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

LAD blocked. Advised PTCA. How soon it should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiac Surgeon
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 174 Questions
Dear Sirs

My mother who is 73 year old underwent CAG as pre op evalution due to previous IHD status. Coronary angiogram revealed 99% mid LAD stenosis and hence advised PTCA few days back. would you able to advice me the how serious is mid LAD 99% block means and how soon should i get PTCA done for her. Also the hospital gave me a estimate of 3 lakhs as price of 4th generation stent that they want to implant during PTCA. Will it cost that much. can you provide some reference links to know cost of stent

Warm Regards
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 54 minutes later
LAD is the main coronary artery supplying blood to the heart. More than 75% block is significant narrowing which causes less blood flowing to the left ventricle. Left ventricle is the one chamber which is very much required for the pumping action of the heart. 99% block is a critical narrowing. The chances of heart attack(myocardial infarction) is more in this condition. PTCA is definitely a suitable option. Sooner is better. Till she gets the procedure done she should be on strict proper medication as advised by the cardiologist which will contain some blood thinning medications. This will prevent heart attacks to some extent. If she gets chest pain any time, it is better to consult cardiologist soon.
There are various stents available in the market. Medicated stents are better but costlier. Estimated costs varies from hospital to hospital but the quoted one is reasonable. You can check online about some of the products.
I wish good health for your mother.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiac Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor