question-icon

Knot In Throat, Soreness. Had Shot On Neck, Small Amount Of Cortisone. Why Has This Happened?

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012
Question: hello ihave aknot in my throat about the size of a thumb nail its hard and sore just happened today .i can feel itbeside my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ihad a shot in my neck yesterday it was with a small amount of cortisone maybe no connection as i have had shots before and no problem with aknot in throat its sore when i swallow
Answered by Dr. Radhika (35 minutes later)

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Was the swelling in the same area as the area where you got the shot?
2. Is the swelling movable?
3. Is it painful?

You have been taking cortisone shots for neck pain for some time now. Even though you would have had many shots before there is a possibility that sometimes reaction occurs when the cortisone shot crystallizes in the inflamed area, creating pressure and causing a swelling.

These do not last long and are treated with ice packs. Most local swelling, redness and pain at the injection site begin within 24 hours of the shot. It usually lasts 2 to 3 days. If it is painful you can take Tablet Tylenol 200mg twice daily for 4 days.

In case it does not reduce you will need to get it examined by a Physician for other possibilities like any thyroid disorder.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Radhika