Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Knocked by dogs and fell unconscious. Confirmed as broken collar bone

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
my two dogs (too hundred pounds) tripped me in in my garage. they knocked me over, and knocked me unconconcious. this this happened on July 29.I went to the hospital and they confirmed a broken collar bone
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for Clavicle Fracture is Conservative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

In General, the treatment for a fractured collar bone (Clavicle) is by conservative means by way of applying a CLAVICLE BRACE. This bone inevitably unites within 6-8 weeks of immobilization in a brace.

You are not supposed to do any overhead activities (till the fracture unites) which displaces the fracture ends and may result in nonunion of the fracture.

Take daily regular calcium supplements till the fracture unites, which can be confirmed by taking Xrays.

Clavicle fractures will heal uneventfully and functional outcomes are excellent after fracture union.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor