Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Knees started to hurt. Noticed red, splotchy rash above knee, getting fever. Should I go for check up?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
My knees started to hurt about 2 days ago. This morning, I noticed a red, splotchy rash above my right knee. It doesn't itch, but the pain in my knees has gotten worse, and I have a slight fever, 100.1. The rash isn't raised, but is creeping up my thigh. Any ideas what it could be and should I see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

There are couple of common possibilities in your case.

1. Insect bite
2. Skin infection due to any cause
3. Infection in knee

As the rash is spreading, with low fever and increase in pain, it is advisable that you visit your doctor.

At times some allergic reaction to insect bite does present like this and they need anti allergic as well as anti inflammatory drugs to take care of it.

In case of skin infection you might need anti biotic also.

In mean time please do the following which should help.

1. Take analgesics like Tylenol for pain and discomfort.
2. You can apply lacto calamine over the red area for some comfort.
3. Do not do any message to the part and wear tight clothes.
4. You can apply ice over the painful area that is not red.

Please visit a doctor.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query please accept the answer.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor