Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Knee pain, weak and wobbly knee, history of runners knee

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
Hi, I am 5 foot 8 and weigh 60kg and do lots of sport (gym, hiking, skiing.) I am 32 now. 10 years ago I had problems with my knee, and was told by the physio that the cartiledge under the knee cap was irritated (runners knee.) My knees made slight crunching noises. That time discomfort went, only to re-occur five years later and two years ago. On both these occasions the knee settled down and I resumed normal activity, with care. However, the problem is back again now and I am trying to rest the knee, but have a job where I stand up all day (am a teacher) and because I have lapsed on my gym schedule my knee has become weak and wobbly and the muscles have weakened! I still do yoga and my legs shake. Any advice appreciated. Going downstairs is the worst! I can however still go on flat 10 mile hikes with no discomfort, but stairs hurt and also the knee hurts when straightened after I have been sitting down.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

The pain in the knee on climbing stairs seems probably due to an irritated knee cap along with mild osteoarthritic changes in your knee joint. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist. A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees. Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor