Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Knee injury, swelling down. But anything strenuous results in pain. Did I hurt bursa or patella?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1015 Questions
I'm 51, in good health and physical condition (although appear to be getting clumsy in my old age). Two weeks ago I tripped stepping over a guard rail and banged my knee cap on the pavement. Iced it very day to keep the swelling down, which worked mostly (there was a good scrape that healed). However, now, whenever I do anything semi-strenuous (elliptical machine, tread mill, etc) it swells up and hurts that night and the next day. Hurts mostly now when I bend it. Am I not giving it enough time to heal or did I do something structurally to the patella, bursa sac, or other? Please advise. Thanks,

Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think as result of banging of the knee on the guard rail, either there might be sprain is an injury in a joint, caused by the ligament being stretched beyond its capacity or hair line fracture.

I advise you to go for X XXXXXXX knee to rule out any such hair line fracture. Depending upon the x XXXXXXX treatment can be planned. If there is hair line fracture the part should be immobilized for few days.

I advise you to minimize weight bearing activity, and limit or stop the activity that caused the injury until healing has occurred. You should provide proper rest and can apply ice packs as you have already done, elevation and medications like over the counter pain killers and Non Steroidal Anti inflammatory drugs can be used.

Most hairline fractures heal with time and rest without the need of surgery. It should never be neglected in elderly as it might heal improperly and resulting in decreased movement of the joint.

So, I advise you to go for x XXXXXXX and consult the orthopedic surgeon with that.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor