Kidney stone cured after treatment. Ultrasound showed stone in both kidney. Precaution to be taken?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: my husband had kidney stone 10yrs back then it got cured with medicines,sometimes hhe used to have pain but past 8 yes he has no pain ...early 2012 he has been diagnosed as a diabetic and in recent reports we got the ultra sound done and he has stones in both kidneys of 5mm and 6mm i think one kidney has 2 stones also.doctor has prescribed but iam worried ...can u give me any tips what mecessary precautions shud be taken.thanks in advance

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

There appears to be high probability of developing recurrent renal stones.
As such there is no correlation between diabetes and recurrent renal stones.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon.
Your husband should take plenty of water (around one and half litre water per day).
He should avoid tomatoes, spinach, brinjal and mushroom.

He should go for serum calcium analysis, paratharmone level and urine culture & sensitivity examination.
Recurrent urinary infection (common in diabetes) makes prone to development of renal stones.
He should use urine alkalizer for preventing development of renal stones.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava