Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Kidney abscess, viral meningitis, spondylosis, L-4, L-3, herniated disc, chronic pain, severe bone pain, swollen hands, joints, on vicodin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
yes, for the past 4 years my health has gone down hill. It started with akidney abcess , viral meningitsi, and now ddd, spondylosis, L-4, L-3 hernaited disc, i have chronic pain almost daily.the past week i have severe jointand bone pain. What test should i be asking my physicain? What are long term pain meds? my hands are swollen and all joints extremely painful. vicodin 10/325 doesn't seem to be working what other options do i need to ask my md
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

For joint and bone pains you can consider taking a better pain killer like tramadol or piroxican in consultation with your orthopaedician if you are not getting any relief with vicodin.For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killers that you are currently taking, after consulting with your orthopaedician. If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can avoid the surgery for some time.

Physiotherapy is also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective. Discuss with your orthopedic and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

For the small joint pains, do a regular hot fomentation and use a firm mattress for lying down which gives a good support to your back.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor