Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Joints hurt, tingling and numbness, frozen back. Any ideas ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
My joints hurt. My knuckles in both hands and feet, my elbows, knees, OMG my back, my neck. My shoulders( atleast i think its my shoulders) keep going out of place when I've done absolutely nothing. Approximately a year ago I was sitting at the computer and I felt some discomfort. By the end of the day I couldn't turn my head and it remained that way for a cpl of months. That was on the right side. Now same thing but on the left. This time I woke up like that. My back KILLS when I wake up. Bought a new bed a started to sleep in a different position. Used to wake up in agony cause of my lower back but since I switched sleeping positions lower back doesn't hurt but the middle of my back now kills upon waking! Have little to no feeling on the rt posterior shoulder, distal to either last cervical or first thoracic vertebrae. Tingling and numbness. My back has frozen and I've been immobilized for several days because of pain :-(
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Repeated back and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints and MRI of the spine.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
The nerve compression symptoms might be related to Vitamin B12 deficiency or electrolyte imbalance.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
Adding calcium and Methylcobalamin supplements to your diet will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor