Owl Image

Joint pain and fever after taking atovastatin and fenofibrtae. Should I stop taking medicine?

Owl Image
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Question
I am taking atovastatin 10 mg+fenofibrtae 160 mg, for just two days now i feel joint pain Uneasiness and fever, should I stop the medicine
LDL 115
HDL 33
TRIGYCERDIES 398
KIDNEY LIVEER OK
creatine 1.1
esr 5mm
haemoglobin 14.5
wbc 6100
neutrophils 45%
lympocites 46%
eosinophils 5%
monocytes 4%
rbs 99
blood urea 20
uric acid serum 4.8
bilirubin .8
direct bilirubin .2
sgpt 18
sgot 26
serum alkaline phosphate 116
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 23 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Fever is not likely from these medicines.
It is probably co-incidental and could account for the joint pain also...

Statin is likely to cause muscle pain / especially calf muscle.
The combination with Fibrate can make it worse.

No harm in stopping for a few days – until the fever subsides.
You can restart when you are free of fever for 2 or more days.

Your LDL is slightly high
Triglyceride (TG) shows moderate elevation.
Fasting for 14 hours is necessary for proper TG estimation. Did you fast?

Try one medicine first.
You may benefit from Fenofibrate alone – because of TG.
Alternatively, you can try slightly higher dose of atorvastatin – say 20 mg / alone.
Recheck your lipid after about 2 months and adjust

Keep following up with your physician...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Joint pain and fever after taking atovastatin and fenofibrtae. Should I stop taking medicine? 5 minutes later
I had my food overnight at 9pm tested after 12 hrs(food was parotta from fast food with cauliflower)

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 10 minutes later
Hi

It is alright / reasonable / needs treatment.
You must also go for life style changes - regular exercise and Diet.

Exercise at least half an hour a day / 5 days a week
More the merrier!

It is advisable to see a dietician - learn calories, fat, biological values and so on.
Diet low in carbohydrates / weight reduction helps in TG
Diet low in fats helps LDL / Avoid Saturated fats. Include in moderation, Poly-unsaturated, mono-unsaturated fats.

All the best

Follow-up: Joint pain and fever after taking atovastatin and fenofibrtae. Should I stop taking medicine? 10 minutes later
There was some digestion problem this morning, is it the reason for fever ?
No significant cold is seen, but head ache is there
can I take paracetamole now

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 12 hours later

Paracetamol is good / It is safe / 650 mg to 1 Gram - up to 4 times is OK

'Digestion problem' will not cause fever.
Both fever and digestion problem can be from a common cause - like infection.
You need to watch.

Good luck