Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Jock itch has spread to genitals and used candid powder. Itching and burning. Suggest the medication to get rid of jock itch

Answered by
Dr. Lohit K

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1649 Questions

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor am frm chennai,,, aged 22,,, i hv jock itch for years,, i mean for actually 5 yrs,,, its been irritating n spreads gradually,,, nw the jock itch has spread to genitals n anal, hv used candid powder for smetime,, now am using candid ointment every ni8,,, if i fail to apply during night times the next day its worse with itching n burning,, n now it sweats more,,,,, am completely embarased to approach a doctor,,, i heard that jock itch could become resistant to medicines sometimes,,, i dont know what to do,, plz tell me sme medicines n help me to get rid of this
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral & topical fungicidal.Regular use.Clean & dry

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

The antifungal treatment should be taken / applied continuously without any break. If you miss even one day before its complete treatment the problem will re appear. The candid ointment you are using are fungistatic (stop growing), so you can try fungicidal drug.

For my patients I usually try with candid ointment initially, if not controlled I usually try with oral with topical fungicidal (Kill fungus).
With your doctor advice you can try Tab Terbinafine 250mg once daily for 3 months along with topical terbinafine ointment. With these you should keep the area clean and dry, daily bath and use cotton towel. Use sun dried cotton inner ware and clothes.
For itching with your doctors advice you can use loratidine tablet (like Alaspan). This is non sedative anti histamine drug used for allergy and itching.
These will help you.

I hope this answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Heard that terbinafine has side effects,,, is it okay to consume alcohol,, should i stop using candid,, should i use terbinafine for 3 months ,, is there less time period drugs,, if so any trade name of terbinafine tablets
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
7 days onwards.avoid alcohol.liver/skin/taste/odou

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for writing back.

Terbinfine duration of use varies from 1 week for superficial skin infection to 3 months for toe nail infection. The duration of use based on the extent on fungal infection. The dosage of use is 250 mg per day. It is avaliable as terbinafine and other brands. Your doctor will know the brand available in your area.

It can cause side effects like hepatic damage, photosensitivity, variation in taste and odour sensation etc. These side effects may not be seen in every patient. Usually avoided in patients with liver problem, allergic to terbinafine and is constantly monitored through out the treatment. Alcohol itself can cause hepatic problem and hence avoided.

So I advice you to consult your doctor to fix the duration of use based on the examination. You can discontinue candid and can use terbinafine containing ointment. But I advice you to discuss with your doctor once for management based on examination.

Hope this answered your queries and helpful for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Terbinafine

doctor1 MD

I am male and have an active yeast infection (jock itch). I decided it would help if I shaved my pubic hairs. As I was shaving, I nicked myself in 2 places. The nicks bleed, but not bad or for very long. I applied nystatin cream on the area, including nicks, when I got out of the shower. I am also taking oral medication (terbinafine). Should I be concerned with the infection become systemic?

doctor1 MD

I m taking terbinafine and I want to know why I shouldn t drink coffee? I d like to continue coffee, though I understand terbinafine might increase the jitteriness factor (so I will drink less), but I want to know if coffee restricts the effectiveness of the terbinafine? Thank you! Johnny

doctor1 MD

My Dr said I had severe Tinea Cruis, but both topical and oral anti fungal s were not working. Ketoconazole 2%, and OTC miconazole, and oral Terbinafine. After 4 weeks of topical and 3 weeks of the oral terbinafine, he perscribed me a tube of Betamethasone, and everyday it has gotten better. But now says it was an alergic reaction, but nothing has changed in my groin area.

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am 44 years old male and I had reddish lession on my penis head which the doctor said was "fungal" with a Lamisil Gel cream and a antiseptic soap prescribed by doctor. It went away but now at the base of the penis where the skin meets, there is a whitish substance which does not wash away. Can you help please? Thanks

doctor1 MD

I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and they said that i have XXXXXXX otch and prescribed me an anti fungal cream but couldnt find it. I...

doctor1 MD

Hi i have vag discomfort i know i have yeast n urinary tract but i also have lesions that itch n burn from mybbotton to my vag

doctor1 MD

I've had ringworm from 5 months.. Initially i used tenovate m for 2 months and there were no results in decrease of the spreading.. Doctor prescribed itraconazole for one month plus application of topical cream ebernet.. Its been 3 weeks and i see...