Jaw reduction surgery done. Feeling numbness in lower lip. Should I consult neurosurgeon?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Question: i had a jaw reduction surgery 2 days ago, i still feel numb in my right lower lip and right side of chin, there is sensation of coldness and hotness but still its numb and if i pinch the skin, it pains too but its very numb, what should i do?, shall i consult a neurosurgeon???
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

From the symptoms you are describing, it is possible that some nerve damage occurred with surgery.
In any surgery procedure there is a risk of damage to the nerves. This can occur if the surgeon applies too much pressure to a nerve or if a nerve has been inadvertently stretched or cut.There may also be a problem with the blood supply to the nerves for example the blood vessel may have been cut or bruised.

In some cases of minor damage for example stretching, compression or interruption of blood supply the nerve would repair itself completely but it can take from a few weeks to months.

You should consider, as you mentioned, visiting a neurologist who may be able to assess if any damage has occurred.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later
its only been 2 days since surgery, and there is not complete numbness i can feel the pain and coldness and hotness, shall i wait for a week or so?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Yes, you can consider waiting at least a week because if it is only minor damage it will heal on its own

Please feel free to ask any other questions