Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Jaw pain, bruises, lump under left jaw, stuffiness, facial pressure. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I was hit on the side of my head by a person. I have severe jaw pain, along with bruising that goes up the left side of my face. I have a lump under my left jaw and stuffiness and fluid leaking from my ear. Is this something that will heal on it's own. I also have pressure in my face if I move my head up or down (more so when moving my head down)
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
I have seen your picture.
The local swelling and bruising is significant along with discharge from ear.
It appears you had significant blunt trauma. It is likely that your ear drum is ruptured and maybe we are also looking at a fracture of neck of mandible underneath the swelling. At this time, it is best you can go to Emergency right now and get an auroscopy done. In addition, a X-ray of face [PA and Left Lateral views] needs to be done to make sure you don't have mandible fracture. If it's there, then you need to consult a surgeon immediately.
Otherwise, it is a self limiting injury and would heal by itself. For the pain, you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) with food. Please take care that water does not enter the affected ear till the pain and fluid from this ear resolves and don't keep the ear up when you slee p- i.e. either sleep flat or with that ear down so that fluid drains out rather than getting pooled and can get infected.
Wish you a safe recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor