I've had a sore tongue for about a month. I've

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had a sore tongue for about a month. I've been using a whitening toothpaste and figured that was it. Then I stopped using the whitening toothpaste and started using a sore mouth wash and it's still hurting. Then I started getting migraine daily this past week. I'm taking a triptan each day. I'm on Amovig and it's been working for the past 3 months until now. I thought "maybe I've got a fever" because fever will trigger migraine. I do have a fever. It's low but at 99.5. What could this be? And what do I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly asked for more information- please see below

Detailed Answer:

I carefully read your query. I would like to kindly ask few questions so I can better understand what is going on and which is the most likely cause of your symptoms.
- Do you notice any change in the color of the tongue (redness or white patches or other changes) or do you notice any lesions like ulcers?
- Do you use other medications other then the ones you mentioned above for migraine, like over the counter medications regularly or other prescription medications?
- Do you have other chronic condition like asthma or diabetes or other?
- Do you have any skin lesions, joint pains?
- Any weight loss recently, night sweats, fatigue?
- Any cough, runny nose, sore throat as well?
- Is the headache you are having this week the same quality and intensity as previously (the same location and as strong as previously or is it in a different place and more severe)
- is the triptan drug helping with the headache?
- Have you had any blood tests recently and how were the results?
- Can you make sure your thermometer is working well, like can you check your temperature with another thermometer and see if the readings are the same or you can use this thermometer on another person and see if the readings are similar to yours. It is important to know that the thermometer is calibrated and working well. 99.5 is not fever as yet (100.4 is considered minimum level for fever) but it is a bit higher then the normal temperature and we would call it subfebrile temperature that would be important if it lasts more then 1-2 weeks.

You can copy my questions and paste them in your reply message and answer each of them underneath so to be easier for you and not miss any of them.

Sore tongue that lasts for more then 2 weeks can be caused by different causes and a very common in elderly is candida infection. In this case oral antifungal gel would help. Also anemia is a cause of sore tongue and a CBC is needed to make sure if you have iron or B12 deficiency and have the proper treatment.
If you have ulcers in the mouth and skin lesions, with joint pains then other systemic conditions like rheumatic conditions can be considered.
The headache in itself we need to be sure is it the same as the migraine headaches you have had or is it a different cause of the headache this time, so knowing about any changes from previous headaches is important.

I am waiting to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj, General and Family Physican
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj