question-icon

I've had a rash on my back for 4 days

Posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2019
Question: I've had a rash on my back for 4 days and now it's spreading. I just got a new job so I don't have a doctor yet and urgent care was closed due to volume. There are a lot of bumps and the skin between and around them is very pink. I'm using Cortisone 10 for the itch but need to know if this is a bigger deal than that
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service. I have gone through the query.

I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to have a look and guide you accordingly.

Hope to assist you further once I get the images
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (6 hours later)
Picture uploaded
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (19 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Shingles

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I think you have Shingles.I suggest you to take an oral antiviral e.g Valacyclovir or Acyclovir, for a week. You would need a prescription for these. You may take an OTC painkiller e.g ibuprofen for symptomatic relief from pain.

Let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist