I've had a persistent cough (mostly in morning), with a

Question
I've had a persistent cough (mostly in morning), with a need to blow my nose for almost two months. This, along with some inconsistent bowel movements (watery, just not regular). It does not interfere with much. My energy level is good. No fevers, aches,... really nothing else. But the cough just does not go away.
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
post nasal drip most common cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common causes for persistent/chronic cough are--(1) post nasal drip of mucus now called upper airway cough syndrome
(2)GERD- reflux of acid
(3)asthma
(4)non asthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis- eosinophils are a type of white blood cell found in the body, high levels in persons with allergies. IN this conditions, high levels are found in part of the airways

Out of these post nasal drip/upper airway cough syndrome is the most common cause.

The need to blow your nose is another symptom that can go along with post nasal drip.

Treatment- Use of a decongestant/ anti histamine combination even if your nose is not congested.
Unfortunately in some persons this can take 1 to 2 weeks to take effect, in others it is faster.

Using a topical nasal spray along with this can also help eg nasonex, nasocort, flonase, rhinocort etc

If the combination of these two meds is not enough the additional medication such as montelukast or ketotifen, may be needed.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions