I've been living with a man for 2 years. He's

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I've been living with a man for 2 years. He's retired/disabled /veteran. we did hae a tramatic event last July, but he's been getting worse for over a year. He's an alcoholic, has PTSD,depression, IBS. i'm concerned because his facination with feces and urine is getting worse. I've had my own room for 8 months. His room and bathroom are nasty. I have to insist he shower. He walks funny-sideways more than forward. He remembers absolutely nothing. Lies about everything. Thinks all material things are his. I realize he was a fighter pilot and killed alot of people and I'm trying to understand, but I can't' keep up with his messiness. What is going on, and what can I do. Also, he's preoccupied with sex, any way, with anyone, or thing. It's getting bad here. If i contact his only family member they will put him away and throw away the key. ??????
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide me more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

Please elaborate the problem in more detail?

Since how many days he is having these symptoms?

Apart from fascination for feces and urine what other kind of symptoms he is showing?

When you confronts him for this what does he say?

Any other issue you are seeing in him?

Thanks

Please provide me details in follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Physically he has very little hair, he is short and thin. When he is standing up his legs are spread apart and he weaves back and forth. When he walks he walks more sideways than forward. He smokes cigarettes constantly. He drinks beer when he wakes up, and stays in the bathroom for very long periods of time drinking and smokin. He does not bathe on his own. I have to insist he bathe and when he does he just stands in the shower and doesn't wash himself. He is very intelligent and has lived all over the world. He speaks several languages.

Mentally: his memory is terrible. We have lived here for almost 2 yearfs and he still can't remember where anything is. If we go somewhere, he asks several times, where and why we are going. He takes lots of long walks, and gets lost, and when he's drinking he sometimes passes out in neighbors yards in the subdivision. The police bring him home on a regular basis. The street people all seem to know him. He has sex with women, and sometimes he admits he likes men and I think he did something to the dog. I know that's horrible, and I can't prove it but I find it odd the dog goes into the restroom with him and when they come out he usually poops on the floor. He is a mean drunk, verbally and sometimes physically abusive. The newest issue is that he urinates on my bed when he's upset with me, and looking back I think he's been doing this to the furniture, dogs, etc. He is very jealous and wants me to only be around him. He is very generous and lets me have free reighn of the bank account. He bought me a car and house. I confront him with these issues and he denys it. Except the humiliatioin urination, at which he admitted he did urinate on my bed because he was mad at me. I made him strip and wash my bed clothes and watch several you tube videos on the subject pointing out that is unacceptable behavour. He has gotten very child like. He steals beer when he doesn't have money. He stole a candy bar tonight when he had money. He will not pickup after himself, wash a dish, clean out his car, clean himself or anything else. He does nothing at all but drink and sit in the bathroom. He complains that he's bored. i make appointments at the Veterans for him and he won't go.
Actually the VA has been very little help.
I'm at the end of my rope.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He might be suffering from some mood disturbance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Thanks for providing details. The symptoms you've mentioned can't be ignored. He is physically more or less good but mental part needs evaluation.

His sudden shifts in behaviour, uncontrollable anger, odd behaviour, jealousy, abnormal behaviour related to sexual relations, uncontrollable drinking, unconcern for money spending, not following his day to day routine etc symptoms could be occurring due to some underlying mood disturbance.

He might be having Bipolar disorder with mood in manic state. Though proper evaluation is needed to make diagnosis. The behaviour like urinating on your bed in anger can't be justified and this is part of his anger outbursts seen in mood disorders.

You should consider consulting a psychiatrist for him. Initially he might become angry when you will ask for psychiatrist consultation but with time he may become ready for consultation. Ask him to visit a psychiatrist just for evaluation.

Mood stabilisers are needed to calm his mood. This will help in reducing his anger and will improve his functioning.

Thanks and Take care

Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.