Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
168 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

I,ve Been feeling weak and in the bed for three

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3129 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Mar 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I,ve Been feeling weak and in the bed for three days now. I'm a 66 yr. old male. I,ve not been able to drink anything for the nausea.Very little urine passing for the last week and I'm ranging between hot sweats and freezing with a sulphur like smell on my body and strong in my nostrils.Any idea's on what may be going on
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are getting dehydrated - please go in to ER now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Hot sweats and freezing sounds as though you have had fevers. Have you taken your temperature?

At this point, my biggest concern is that you are getting dehydrated, if you have not been urinating much or been able to keep up with oral intake of fluids. In addition, the fever can increase the rate of dehydration.

It's hard to say what the cause may be as it can be a viral gastroenteritis, other infection, or some inflammatory mechanism.

I strongly recommend, as it does not sound as though you are on the mend at this time, that you go in to an ER or well equipped urgent care center (I'm leaning towards ER because they will have a faster rate of getting lab results back). In the ER, they will draw blood for a compete blood count, which can give an indication of a viral or bacterial infection, and a chemistry panel to see if you are getting deficient in potassium (which can be added to an IV), or have other chemistry abnormalities such as in kidney function or uremia.

They will also likely give you an IV so that you can get rehydrated.

So - at this point I highly recommend that you go in to an ER for rehydration and for a CBC and chemistry panel which will help start the process of figuring out what is wrong.

I would be happy to provide further information or clarification once you go in, but I don't want at this moment for you to delay.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on