question-icon

It's been suggested that I get ear vents inserted to

Posted on Sun, 3 Mar 2019
Question: It's been suggested that I get ear vents inserted to help with the pressure I'm having in my ears.

I've read about the vents can cause hearing loss , and as I've no hearing in my left ear , is this safe to get done ? If getting it done I need vents in both ears .
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You can get better after procedure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

Ear tubes are used to equalise the pressure in two sides of ear drum. In your case it is a good choice .
It is safe to get done.
It has a small risk of hearing loss but mainly in persons who suffer from otitis media with effusion.
I think your hearing may get better after procedure and also you will feel better when pressure get stabilised.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka