Itchy skin not cured by medicine. No history of allergic reactions or dermatitis. Permanent cure?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I have itchy skin since coming back from Malaysia a fortnight ago where I was caring for an angora rabbit whom I have since found out has mites. My Dr said I have contact dermatitis but no medication is making a difference. I asked him about the possibility of having mites but he said, 'no'. I also have subclinical hyperthyroid condition (one point below a diagnosis on the blood tests). I itch a lot at night. There is no rash and my skin is not dry. I have no history of allergic reactions or dermatitis.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

You have not mentioned the medications that you have taken for itching.

The possibility of mite induced infection is remote as you do not have any history of fever or any rash.

Though you do not have a dry skin but still I will suggest that you apply a hydrating lotion or oil and observe if the itching reduces.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK