Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Itchy red spots around pubic area. Should I be worried for scabies?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
I have had a very small red irritation off and on for 8 months now, that forms in the pubic hair area it will itch similar to a mosquito bite and the area will feel raised underneath the skin, after about 2-3 days it will form tiny white raised bumps abut the size of a pin head all in a diameter slightly larger than an eraser head. It then fades away and everything goes back to normal for the next 4 to six weeks, then it appears again. It never has spread to penis area, nor has it moved outside the pubic hair area whether the area is shaved or not. I think it might be scabies but am not sure?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,

According to the description and the picture sent by you. The following can be considered.
1. Granulomatous disorder.
2. Nummular eczema. If there is oozing from the lesions.
3. Recurrent bacterial folliculitis.
4. Pseudofolliculitis
5. Fungal infection, mainly Candida.
6. Scabies.

Out of these scabies, bacterial and fungal causes can be easily ruled out, as they won't follow a pattern of appearing and disappearing for weeks.

Pseudo folliculitis, occurs due to ingrowth of hair, just have a look if there are ingrown hairs,

Next is nummular eczema,
This can remain localized to a particular area and can be on and off but there should be some oozing.

Finally, granulomatous disorders can be considered as you said you feel something is coming from within skin.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Apply a mild steroid cream like mometasone once daily for a week and see the response. For itching, you can take an antihistamine tablet.
2. XXXXXXX a dermatologist and consider for a biopsy. As biopsy can only exactly diagnose the condition.

Wishing you good health.

Feel free to ask further doubts.

Thank you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor