Owl Image

Itchy red mole appeared on upper side of back. Any advice?

Owl Image
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Question
I woke up this morning with a mole on the upper right side of my back! I have never seen or felt this there before until today. The mole is a little itchy & a little irritating particularly when I am sitting down. The mole has some redness around it, & is black colour. Can you advise? XXXXXXX
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such mole with redness around it should be investigated by a dermatologist or surgeon. Most likely this is nothing life threatening, however inflammatory state around the mole can be a symptom of melanoma. That is why, what you should do is to visit a dermatologist who should decide if this mole needs to be removed for histological investigation (it is hard to tell from my point as the picture is blurred).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.