Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Itchy purple bump appeared on thumb. Should I consult a dermatologist?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
A week ago I had a less than 1/16 inch round purple/black smooth bump on my right palm, near thumb. No pain but maybe very slight itching. I just noticed it then as before I thought it was just an inkspot from a ballpoint pen. Maybe had it 2 or 3 weeks. A week later it looks more like a scab, it's a very XXXXXXX red or black. There's a tiny area of maroon that doesn't look like scab. Several weeks ago i was doing many things to irritate my hand. Lifting very heavy things, maybe burning my hand on pot and/or microwave. I'm planning to go away for a month, but should I see a dermatologist immediately.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
This purplish lesion could be anything. It could be a haematoma or bruise due to some injury, a Pyogenic granuloma, vasculitis lesion,cherry angioma, angiokeratoma, a nevi or a melanoma. Melanoma usually appears as an irregular pigmented lesion and is quite commonly confused with a bruise
As you can see the cause could be benign as well as something as sinister as a melanoma.
Dermatology is completely a visual field and no diagnosis can be surely suggested without clinically examining the lesion. As you would be away for a month, I would definitely suggest you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist near by to decide upon a possible diagnosis and treat the lesion appropriately.
Hope that helps. Should there be any query, feel free to write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor