Itchy penis with white liquid discharge. What could this be?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor, yesterday i started to have itch in the area of the tip of my penis, which i didnt pay much attention. In the night, i woke up to pee, then when i squeezed my penis, a very white liquid started flowing from between the foreskin and the head of my penis(not semen). I think is like pus, but I dont know. Today, i squeezed again and still pours but it was less. What do you think it could be? How bad is this? (PD: im uncut)
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 54 minutes later

You have not mentioned about your sexual activity.
Are you married?

By your explanation, it seems you have infection and inflammation of your glans penis (bulb) and the foreskin. Any trauma, irritation (soap, applications, smegma etc.) and STDs leads to secondary bacterial infection. This will produce pus formation. It is more common with tight foreskin or in presence of inability to retract the foreskin.

Appropriate antibiotics and repeated washing will cure the condition. If you approach your physician he/she will guide you. Sometimes if it recurs and the foreskin was not able to be retracted, circumcision is advisable.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Thanks,
In fact, im single, and i havent had sex in like 5 months. I dindt mentioned it, but it doesnt hurt, it just itches from time to time since yesterday, and ive been going to the restroom a few times today, just to check and it stills pours some of this sustance, but barely noticeable. And I must add, its hard to retract the foreskin, where I believe lies the infection (on the inside), but i havent been able to see, because of the foreskin tightness.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later

Sexual activity is not always a prerequisite to cause genital infections. Other common infection can occur when personal hygiene is compromised.

Since you mentioned you have a tight foreskin, there is a possibility that unwanted material like smegma, soap, secretions from previous sexual encounters, etc., can get gradually accumulated. This collection can be nidus of infection.

Therefore I encourage you to consult a competent genitourinary physician. It can be treated completely without much difficulty. You may also discuss the option of circumcision if foreskin is too tight and cause problems during sexual activity.

You will be alright soon. Do not be concerned.

I hope that I have cleared your doubts. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Dr S.Murugan