Itchy nose, nasal discharge, sneezing and blood in back of nostril. Are these signs of rhino sinuitis?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Ok I my ent speacalist told me I had rhino sinuitis but I think I have a nose infection because I dont have pressure in the face I just have an irritated nose that is itchy, nasal discharge, sneezing, and blood in the back of my nostrils this has been going well past a year now. Also I think it is contagious because many people start sneezing and coughing when coming near me. thanks for all the advice as it is greatly needed
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 54 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

The symptoms mentioned by you are the typical features of allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is one of the common nasal conditions characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens.

Allergic rhinitis is not a contagious disease, but an allergy related disorder.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The truth is, 'there is no cure for allergy', and only the preventive measures when followed can rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the Air conditioner.

You can try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone), saline nasal spray (to keep the nasal mucosa moist) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine) to reduce the itching. If you are not feeling better with these medicines, you can try taking a short course of oral steroid tablets along with the above medicines. Finally, drink plenty of warm water to keep the nasal mucosa moist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon