Itchy hard lump on labia majora. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi - on my vagina at the top of the right side of my labia majora there is a hard lump and it really itchies but its also sore and bleeds - it started with just extreme itching, kind of looked liked eczema and it would get better with over the counter eczema cream but then would come back.... It's been like this for approx 9 years - the lump though is recent- I haven't had sex in nearly 4 years as it looks horrid and I'm embarrassed plus if you touch it I just want to scratch it!!! I hope you can help - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

The vagina consists of an XXXXXXX mucous membrane and a muscular coat separated by a layer of erectile tissues. It is lubricated by Bartholin’s glands, situated at the opening in front. The vagina is vulnerable to various infectious diseases, as well as skin disorders.

Since the main problem started with vaginal itching, I would like to tell you the reasons for itching. I have seen the picture you have attached, and it appears that due to chronic scratching and itching, the underlying skin and hair follicles have become inflamed and infected, leading to a lump.
You need examination, palpation and testing by a gynecologist to arrive at the exact diagnosis.

Itching in the labial area is usually caused by irritation of the skin from many sources, such as clothes rubbing against the skin, some chemicals present in products used on the private parts, medicated toilet paper/wipes, tampons, latex or lubricants in condoms etc. This is known as contact dermatitis. Contact dermatitis is rarely serious, but it is often very itchy.

Ringworm infection of the perineum is very common, and this requires topical / oral antifungals.

Scabies is a disease, transmitted through close human to human contact, where the parasites burrow under the skin and lay their eggs. The eggs release toxins causing an itchy rash that may appear as little hive-like bumps, red bites or small pimples. Because the mites prefer warm areas, they migrate to the areas where clothing fits tight such as the genital area. This conditions is particulary painful and itchy.
Other parasitic / worm infections can also similarly cause an extremely painful and itchy rash on the genitals, specifically the peri anal area.

Local yeast infection ( candidiasis ) can cause an itchy rash on the genital area.

Skin disorders such as psoriasis, eczema, and lichen can also cause an itchy rash on the private parts.

According to me, the lump has resulted due to chronic itching and inflammation of the same area.
In other cases, vaginal lumps may result from genital herpes. This is another type of sexually transmitted disease (STD) that can cause soreness and itchiness.
Other causes include ingrown hair. This happens once the pubic hair coils back as well as develops out of line and shoves all the way through the skin. This can result to vaginal lumps that are commonly noticeable several days following shaving. Lastly, Bartholin’s gland may also be established as one of its causes. These glands’ lubricate the vagina and once they are obstructed, cyst can grow. This is complicated by itching when the cyst gets inflamed and infected.

Please consult your gynecologist, who would then examine you properly, palpate the lump and if necessary order investigations.
For the intractable itching till then, please use a local topical steroid ointment like Canesten HC, however this is purely a temporary measure, and in fact, topical steroids might aggravate some of the conditions, so do not use it as a substitute for a proper checkup.

Feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Many thanks for your advice but how do I get an appointment with a gynaecologist ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
If you wish to go via the NHS, you have to consult your GP, who would then refer you to a gynecologist.
The other option is to consult a private gynecologist, or via the B.U.P.A.