Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Itchy hard lump on labia majora. How to get rid of this?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6000 Questions

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi - on my vagina at the top of the right side of my labia majora there is a hard lump and it really itchies but its also sore and bleeds - it started with just extreme itching, kind of looked liked eczema and it would get better with over the counter eczema cream but then would come back.... It's been like this for approx 9 years - the lump though is recent- I haven't had sex in nearly 4 years as it looks horrid and I'm embarrassed plus if you touch it I just want to scratch it!!! I hope you can help - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

The vagina consists of an XXXXXXX mucous membrane and a muscular coat separated by a layer of erectile tissues. It is lubricated by Bartholin’s glands, situated at the opening in front. The vagina is vulnerable to various infectious diseases, as well as skin disorders.

Since the main problem started with vaginal itching, I would like to tell you the reasons for itching. I have seen the picture you have attached, and it appears that due to chronic scratching and itching, the underlying skin and hair follicles have become inflamed and infected, leading to a lump.
You need examination, palpation and testing by a gynecologist to arrive at the exact diagnosis.

Itching in the labial area is usually caused by irritation of the skin from many sources, such as clothes rubbing against the skin, some chemicals present in products used on the private parts, medicated toilet paper/wipes, tampons, latex or lubricants in condoms etc. This is known as contact dermatitis. Contact dermatitis is rarely serious, but it is often very itchy.

Ringworm infection of the perineum is very common, and this requires topical / oral antifungals.

Scabies is a disease, transmitted through close human to human contact, where the parasites burrow under the skin and lay their eggs. The eggs release toxins causing an itchy rash that may appear as little hive-like bumps, red bites or small pimples. Because the mites prefer warm areas, they migrate to the areas where clothing fits tight such as the genital area. This conditions is particulary painful and itchy.
Other parasitic / worm infections can also similarly cause an extremely painful and itchy rash on the genitals, specifically the peri anal area.

Local yeast infection ( candidiasis ) can cause an itchy rash on the genital area.

Skin disorders such as psoriasis, eczema, and lichen can also cause an itchy rash on the private parts.

According to me, the lump has resulted due to chronic itching and inflammation of the same area.
In other cases, vaginal lumps may result from genital herpes. This is another type of sexually transmitted disease (STD) that can cause soreness and itchiness.
Other causes include ingrown hair. This happens once the pubic hair coils back as well as develops out of line and shoves all the way through the skin. This can result to vaginal lumps that are commonly noticeable several days following shaving. Lastly, Bartholin’s gland may also be established as one of its causes. These glands’ lubricate the vagina and once they are obstructed, cyst can grow. This is complicated by itching when the cyst gets inflamed and infected.

Please consult your gynecologist, who would then examine you properly, palpate the lump and if necessary order investigations.
For the intractable itching till then, please use a local topical steroid ointment like Canesten HC, however this is purely a temporary measure, and in fact, topical steroids might aggravate some of the conditions, so do not use it as a substitute for a proper checkup.

Feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Many thanks for your advice but how do I get an appointment with a gynaecologist ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
If you wish to go via the NHS, you have to consult your GP, who would then refer you to a gynecologist.
The other option is to consult a private gynecologist, or via the B.U.P.A.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on Skin rash

doctor1 MD

Hi, im 19 on the ridge of my penis forskin ( right upnder the head) i have 3 skin ( a bit transparant ) flat slightly raised but barely bumps or patches im not sure what to call them I recently noticed them acouple weeks ago and have been researching what they could be but havent found anything alike they were ive only had oral sex ( blow job) and ive had unprotected sex once from what ive read it might be masterbation rash or something I cant really tell, they are only really noticeable when falcid when erect you wwouldnt be able to notice them

doctor1 MD

sir, my child got suddenly severe rashes on entire body first came on to face,3 days back, it seems to symptoms like hives we met skin specialist he refered some medicines. my question is how many days will take to reover ? is there any side effects with hives ?

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... This is a difficut case, I have gradually been losing hair on the left and right side of my head at the hairline. I don't know if it will have any relationship, but I also have devoped some type of red rash on the insides of a couple fingers, as will as on top of the hand. It is itchy and sore.

doctor1 MD

I have had a skin rash, hives for several weeks the doctor prescribedprednisone for 10 days and it went away, two days after I stopped it all came back now he has prescribed cetirizine yesterday and after 2 pills, I have absolutely no relief from itching, is this normal, how fast should it work?

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and is not going away...I had read somewhere in the webmd website that facial rashes are the first sign...

doctor1 MD

I am getting skin rash after taking Bactrim. Hands, feet. Should I take Benadryl?