Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Itchy and burning sensation both during and after passing stool. Dr. advises operation for polyps. Any alternatives ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 38 Questions
For the past few years, i have been suffering from some inconvenience (for a lack of better term) during passing of stool. It started with mild irritation while passing stool and later i started feeling a small tissue coming out of the anus and going back by itself after I am done passing the stool. Recently, that tissue stopped going back by itself and when i push it back it does go back in. I feel itchy sensation and burning sensation both during and after passing my stool.
I recently visited a general surgeon and after he inspected my anus, he informed me that I have a "Polyp" and fissures in my anus. He also informed that this was formed due to infection because of "thread worms" and he told me that he will perform a small operation to remove the polyp and clean the infection.

I want to understand if this is a safe option/risks involved with this. Should I be visiting a gastroenterologist surgeon and not a general surgeon. What are the alternatives to the surgery, for instance, is "Colonoscopy" advisable here.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 9 hours later

I have gone through your mail and noted its contents.

You are most likely to be suffering from a chronic fissure in Ano with a sentinel pile mass. All the features described are consistent with the above condition.

This is not a serious condition and will require a small surgery in the form of lateral sphincterotomy and excision of pile mass. This is a daycare procedure and can be done by any experienced surgeon. A prior colonoscopy is always advisable.

After the surgery you can go home on the same day. The doctor can prescribe you some pain killers for couple of days.

Let me know if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor