Itching and burning sensation with dry scaly skin on face. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have had really dry skin lately on my face; especially around the corners of my mouth. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. Just last week, I have broken out with red blotches on my face, and they are raised areas like welts. I often feel a slight burning sensation and this especially occurs around my jaw line and neck. I have tried everything; coconut oil, lotions, I have changed my foundation, and other items I am using, but nothing seems to work.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
From the description you have given, it probably could be contact dermatitis. It is basically skin's reaction to any foreign substance manifesting itself as
1)dry scaly skin,
2)sometimes red rashes or welts and
3)itching, burning or stinging sensation.

To treat the same, firstly the irritant and allergic cause needs to be ruled out. This could be due to plant or field exposure, use of any cosmetic product( cream, lotion,foundation, face wash, medicated cream etc). Sometimes it could be due to sun exposure too.

The medications that could be used to treat are mild steroid creams like fluticasone or mometasone. To relieve itching and swelling take an oral antihistamine like cetirizine or diphenhydramine. If the skin feels too dry, use a mild hypoallergenic moisturiser like cetaphil. Sometimes if the swelling or irritation persists, a course of oral steroid might be required. As most of the above mentioned are prescription drugs, a dermatologist's prescription is recommended.
Hope that answers your query. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan