Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Itching after taking flagyl. Diagnosed with trichomoniasis. Could I be allergic to flagyl?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have been treated for trich four pills of flagl that was Friday when I got treated now I just started itching today could I be allergic to the meds or?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is very much effective in treating trichomoniasis. It is generally given for 7 days or may be repeated to another course after an interval of 7 days. If you are sexually active, your partner should be treated with the same and partner should use condom during treatment course.

Mild itching may occur due to effect of the pill. Other side effects are abdominal pain, diarrhea, dry mouth, dizziness, cough, sore tongue, tingling sensation etc.

If itching is slightly more or non-tolerable, then you can take cetirizine 10 mg at bed time for 7 days. Alternatively, you can use vaginal suppository or apply metronidazole gel to treat the same.

Following life style changes are helpful to prevent future recurrence:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
3) Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning. Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ walking/ treadmill etc.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap.
5) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 3 months including unprotected sex.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor