Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Isn't ranitidine as hydrochloride acts as a painkiller for gastric pain, heartburn and indigestion? Suggest painkiller for vaginal infection?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Dear Dr Soumen Patra, thank u so much for ur kind help. I need some clarifications regarding ur response to my case earlier. Is ranitidine 150 mg as hydrochloride acts as a painkiller? Isnt it for gastric pain, heartburn n indigestion? What other painkilller would u suggest to ease the pain from this vaginal infection that is causing spots n pimples in the vaginal area n clitoris? U also suggested bacitracin, can it be applied in the vaginal area? I read that it is for the eyes. For ur record, i am under medication for high blood pressure, taking plendil 10 mg. will it be ok to take these medications along with plendil? many thanks in advance for ur help again.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the treatment guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response in behalf of previous reply. Followings are my comments:

1) Ranitidine hydrochloride is not a painkiller but it is to be taken with painkiller to avoid gastric irritation and for better absorption of the drug.

2) You can take any kind of painkiller like combined diclofenac & paracetamol or ibuprofen. However, you must take antacid along with that each time. It will definitely give relief from pain around vagina or clitoral region.

3) There are some anti-bacterial ointment available in the store like bacitarcin, soframycin, neosporin which are used to treat bacterial skin infection. You can use this effectively around vagina or clitoral region. But, you apply those ointment only after proper cleaning the area with hot water pad.

Yes, bacitracin, neosporin etc can be used in eye infection also. They have several indications.

4) Anti-hypertensive medication plendil contains felodipine and you can take those medicine effectively. There is no drug reaction between them.

In addition, you must maintain healthy measures which I have mentioned in my earlier reply along with your genital hygiene.

Hope, I have cleared your all doubts. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Isn't ranitidine as hydrochloride acts as a painkiller for gastric pain, heartburn and indigestion? Suggest painkiller for vaginal infection? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Soumen, thank u for ur response. In that case, i shall be taking Ibuprofen, Ranitidine hydrochloride, Ampicillin (antibiotics), Fluconazole and Bacitracon or Neosporin. Can u advise me with the dosage n intakes for all these meds? Are these meds available in any pharmacies? Will i be able to get it without prescription? Because i need it urgently. Thank u so much for ur help. Appreciate it a lot.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need complete prescription to avail medications.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query. Followings are my comments:

1) Yes, above medications are quite useful to reduce pain around vagina and clitoral region in association with bacterial infection.

2) The drugs are prescription only medicine and you will need a prescription from a doctor. For better results, I recommend that you consult a gynecologist who can write a prescription as well as perform a clinical examination to assess the severity of your present condition. Dosing and frequency depends on the clinical assessment. It can't be commented from web.

3. If you are unable to get an early appointment, then you can start with antibacterial ointment and fluconazole vaginal suppository. You should be able to get these two without prescription. Ointment can be applied locally 2-3 times daily after proper cleaning with hot water pad. And suppository can be used at bed time for at least 3 days.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor