Is worsening of the herpetic whitlow lesion in the hand with blisters oozing pus or bleed require attention?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I went to hospital three days ago and was diagnosed with herpectic whitlow but the sores are getting worse. I have open dime sized blisters on the palm of my left hand that bleed and are pussy. Should I go back to hospital?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest Oral and topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

You seem to have developed secondary bacterial infection. I suggest you to apply a topical antibiotic e.g either Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2 %ointment, twice daily.
In addition to this you may take an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin 500mg or Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily, for a week.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
So should I go back to hospital for the antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes.

Take care,
Dr. Kakkar S.