Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Is white skin segment below penis head a sign of vitiligo?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1919 Questions
Hi, I saw a white color skin segment just below the band of my penis head (on the right side of the shaft, you can say). It is pale while and hasn't increased in area in the last 2 yrs when I first saw it. since the skin stretches ( due to obvious reasons), it now appears s little bit widened. Is this Vitiligo or what? If so, does it need any treatment or I leave it like that and do not worry?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, It could be vitiligo and penis is one of the common sites for vitiligo. Another condition which looks whitish ( vitiligo like ) is lichen sclerosus et atrophicus. Here apart from whitish color, there will be scarring or atrophy and the stretch ability of the skin is affected with or without itching. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can assess better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'. A vitiligo patch which is stable and not spreading for two years can be left alone if you are not bothered by it. But a progressing lesion is better treated to control the spread. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is white skin segment below penis head a sign of vitiligo? 45 hours later
Hello Dr. Chacko, I have uploaded 2 photos of the situation related to my question. Please reply me back with your answer looking into these. Please maintain complete confidentiality of these photos and not make them available on search over your site. Thank you. These photos are taken with the skin stretched backwards. Hence the area of the skin in question appears spread.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Saw the photos Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Welcome back. Sorry for the delay in answering as I was down with fever. Do not worry. I will maintain complete confidentiality of these photos. It looks like vitiligo. If you feel that it has widened a little then it is better to treat. I usually treat penile vitiligo lesions with tacrolimus 0.1% ointment twice a day application along with oral anti oxidant capsules once a day. It will take time to repigment. Probably months. You should consider showing a dermatologist for prescription and follow-up. Hope this helped, Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is white skin segment below penis head a sign of vitiligo? 16 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Chacko! So if the medication is used on continuous basis will this be cured completely? I am quite worried about it.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 24 hours later
Hello, Welcome back. Your vitiligo will improve or the spread will decrease. I can only say that there is a chance of complete cure but as vitiligo is an auto immune disease the prognosis is very subjective. Your own body is attacking your pigment producing cells. In my experience there are a lot of patients who got a cure. Do not worry as stress can make it worse. After all it is just a simple color change of the skin which is not contagious and located in a hidden area. Hope this helped. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor