Is white discharge from the penile tip a symptom of fungal infection?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Tip of my penis and around the edges looks white....I thought it was condaloma but the dermatologist did not think so. He gave me a cream to put on and use for 2-4 weeks. If it does not clear up he wants me to go to a urologist. The whiteness will not just wipe off and the med that he gave me I use very sparingly as I used too much to start and penis got sore. Could this be a fungus infection? If so do u have any other suggestions for OTC meds. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be yeast infection...

Detailed Answer:

although a picture might help, it could be a yeast infection (Candida). Such infections usually look like if the glans has milk spilled over (white irregular patches of white matter that can't be wiped off). Depending on how inflammed the area is, there could be also areas of redness. Diabetes is one of the most common risk factors for yeast infection in this area. If it's indeed a yeast infection, antifungal treatment would be required. Local treatment is the first option. If there's excessive inflammation then corticosteroids can be added to the regimen until the inflammation subsides.

It may also help me to know what kind of ointment have you tried. You can either upload a picture of it (of the container that is) or tell me what's written on it.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 hours later
The lotion I am supposed to use is ciclopirox olamine topical suppression....I hope that helps..
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it does!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional info...

Ciclopirox is an antifungal agent, so I guess that your doctor believes it's yeast infection. In patients who fail to respond after adequate treatment with local measures, antifungals by mouth is another option (a more potent one). Fluconazole is a fine choice for most patients. Remember to contact your doctor before using any drug. Always inform your doctor about treatment failures or side effects. Sometimes failure to respond to treatment may mean the diagnosis is uncertain and another course of action has to be taken.

Kind Regards!