Is weight loss caused by diabetes dangerous?
About your son's symptoms;
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your son's health.
Usually, weight loss in a diabetic person is caused by high glucose levels persisting for many weeks, but you described that the blood sugar has a tendency to be low, despite the same treatment, so the weight loss is not due to Diabetes.
In this case a cause for the weight loss should be found (an over active thyroid, depression, malignant disease ect.).
The weight loss has improved insulin resistance and that explains the low blood sugar. The treatment should be modified (if he is in insulin, the dose should be reduced, or if he is on oral tablets the treatment should be modified).
So, a detailed clinical examination and some further investigation are needed to find the cause of weight loss and modify the Diabetes treatment in order to prevent hypoglicemia.
Hope the information has been helpful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hypothyroid weight loss with diabetes
- Antidepressants that cause weight loss
- Digen diabetes medication weight loss
- Are unexplained weight loss symptoms of diabetes?
- Rapid weight loss with diabetes
- Weight loss plan for a diabetic person
- Weight loss injections for diabetics
- Does diabetes cause weight loss
- Weight loss pills diabetics
- Diabetic weight loss supplements
- What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...
- What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...
- Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?
- What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?
- Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
- What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person
- What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?