Is weight loss caused by diabetes dangerous?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Diabetes
Question: My son 59 years old has had diabetes type 2 for years with consisten high glucose readings, and suddenly he has lost a lot of weight and his glucose readings are low. What can cause this?
rros
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your son's symptoms;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your son's health.
Usually, weight loss in a diabetic person is caused by high glucose levels persisting for many weeks, but you described that the blood sugar has a tendency to be low, despite the same treatment, so the weight loss is not due to Diabetes.
In this case a cause for the weight loss should be found (an over active thyroid, depression, malignant disease ect.).
The weight loss has improved insulin resistance and that explains the low blood sugar. The treatment should be modified (if he is in insulin, the dose should be reduced, or if he is on oral tablets the treatment should be modified).
So, a detailed clinical examination and some further investigation are needed to find the cause of weight loss and modify the Diabetes treatment in order to prevent hypoglicemia.
Hope the information has been helpful.
Kind regards.
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad