Is vomiting due to gastritis contagious?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yesterday evening I felt fine. I ate a late dinner. When I went to bed at 10 I felt uncomfortably full, but was able to sleep two hours. At midnight I got up and took two Alka-Selzers. At 2 a.m. I woke up and felt I puked my guts out. At 6 I got up to go to work and after about 30 I puked my guts out again. I came home from work at 11 and have been aleep since then. I did have a regular bowel movement around 1 p.m.

My question is this: What's the likelihood I have something that is contagious? I plan on flying out tomorrow to visit my daugther and her family, with two boys age 2 and 2 months and I don't want to get anyone sick there.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
dramamine or pepto bismol along with pepcid may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The vomiting is due to gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach.

This can occur due to infection ( viral or bacterial infection) or severe irritation from reflux.

If it is infection then it would be spread by contact with infectious fluids, this means that careful and repeated hand washing after vomiting would prevent spread.

IN addition, whether due to infection or reflux, the use of medication such as dramamine or peptobismol would limit vomiting.
These are over the counter.

Adding a medication such as pepcid or zantac may result in symptom resolution as well especially if there is any burning or discomfort along with the vomiting.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Gibson XXXXXXX

This is more of an update than a question.

Your advice is much appreciated, especially the reminder about frequent handwashing.

It is 6:30 p.m. in California and I haven't vomited since 6 a.m. I have slept a lot and taken it easy. I am now getting back to eating, starting with toast and bananas. If this food stays down, I think I'll be all right. The more I think about it the more I think it was some combination of foods I ate, although I can't point to any one food.

I've also talked with my daughter and explained the situation, and she's fine with me coming. But I do want to take good precautions.

Thanks again.

If you have any more thoughts, send them my way, especially an tips, outside of medication, of how to return to a normal eating/strength pattern.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if 4 hour period pass, can continue to eat

Detailed Answer:
HI

Once a 4 hour period has passed with no symptoms, normally it is ok to resume eating.
You can start with smaller than normal portions of your normal foods (initially bland, no spicy/acidic foods), if tolerated increase the amounts.

If anything else unclear, you can ask
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 minute later
Thanks, Doctor.
I'll leave this discussion open in case anything develops tonight.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ok

Detailed Answer:
no prob

Dr. Michelle Gibson James