• question-icon

Is vitamin B12 level of 1096 a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello dr. My b12 level is 1096. Is it dengerous? I am taking kombiglyize 500, and uricure 300 for fatty liver.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild derangement is due hepatic dysfunction and diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Have seen the reports and have gone through your details

Normal values are 200 to 900 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL).An increased vitamin B12 level is uncommon. Usually, excess vitamin B12 is removed in the urine.However mildly elevated levels are very common in patients with liver disease.

As per standard text-

Medical conditions that can increase levels of vitamin B12 include liver disease, kidney failure and a group of blood cancers known as myeloproliferative disorders, which includes myelocytic leukemia and a condition that causes an overgrowth of red blood cells called polycythemia vera.
However in myeloproliferative disorders the levels are too high so thats not your case.
Most likely cause in your case is Non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Secondarily diabetes and obesity also acts as a additive factor and mildly deranges cynacobalamine levels.

As of now 1096 in a patient with fatty liver having diabetes is not something unusual.

Suggestion-
Add milk of thistle, Sylimarin to your regimen.Its a potent liver rejenuvator and is a very strong anti oxidant(Excellent for liver).

Uricure is for stones in gallbladder and has nothing to do with your liver.

Apart from Sylimarin take Himalaya LIV 52 DS tab once daily.It has proved beneficial in liver disease.

Thanks you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 minutes later
Thanks doc
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks.

Detailed Answer:
your welcome dear
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist