• question-icon

Is vertigo while lying down a symptom of positional vertigo?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i m having a vertigo specially in lying condition ....also had vomiting couple times ...docter prescribed me stugeron 25 mg & vertin 16 mg thrice a day.....is this a position vertigo? what test shall i go for? if it is a position vertigo what treatment shall i take ?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to variety of causes or it could be transient.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Vertigo or dizziness even in any position is concerning.

Perhaps if the dizziness is not troubling your day to day work, then you may wait for 1 or 2 days.

Until then you should take proper hydration and electrolyte balance with some symptomatic antihistamines treatment like stugeron 25 mg (stugeron forte 75 mg can also be tried) & vertin 16 mg as prescribed by your doctor.So no need to get paniced.

Take over the counter Ondasetron 4 mg (brand name: emeset or vomikind) or domstal for vomiting.

However if the problem is persistent even after 2 days, you should go back to your doctor and get evaluated further.

I will suggest you undergo routine blood counts, ESR, blood electrolytes, tests for vestibular (balance) system like electronystagmography or rotation tests to diagnose the cause for vertigo or dizziness.

Your local physician or GP will know about the tests.

He/she will order those tests after complete history and thoroughly clinical examination like temperature, pulse, blood pressure which will enable us to arrive a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra