Is vegetable protein advisable for a person with hypertension and protein in urine?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have chronic HTN and have been on Cozaar 25 mg daily last 10 yesrs or so after several different antihypertensive meds. Last couple of yesrs GFR is coming down, like 49, 51 and 41. I had UTI last month
and urine test showed protein in urine, although GFR > 60 for change. Then last week UTI occurred again
and I am to have ultra sound of kidneys next Wednesday. I may see a nephrologist depending on ultrasound
result of next week. Anything better than Cozzar for me who has HTN, CRF(3A ?) and protein urea. My diet
is high protein (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) and low carb. Should I switch to vegetable protein from animal
protein ? Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear XXXX!

I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that as the renal function plays a crucial role in blood pressure and overall blood circulation homeostasis, it is necessary to make some arrangements in your actual anti-hypertensive scheme.

Cozaar may interfere with your decreasing renal function; also, in around 10%-15% of cases, UTI has been a confirmed adverse effect of Cozaar use.

For the above reasons, it is recommended changing Cozaar for a safer anti-hypertensive drug, such as a calcium channel blocker (Amlodipine, Lercanidipine, etc.) or a thiazide diuretic drug.

You are right about a more controlled rich-protein foods in your diet.

But, before coming to restrictions, I would advise to wait for a professional review of all the possible etiological causes of renal function impairment.

There are several reversible causes of renal impairment; once treated and avoided, renal function may return to normal ranges without the need for any chronic renal specific treatment.

You need to discuss with your attending doctor (nephrologist or internist) on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri