Is vaginal bleeding 3 weeks post menstruation due date because of a miscarriage?

Question
My period is three weeks late and I just started bleeding with severe cramps in my abdomen and back that are different from my usual. Not sure if a period can come that late or be an early miscarriage.

------------------------------------------------------

So if the test comes up positive it could be a miscarriage? If not something else?
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a URINE PREGNANCY TEST

Detailed Answer:
Greetings,

If you were expecting pregnancy, better to get your urine tested. It could be a missed abortion if you are pregnant.If not pregnant it can be due to HORMONAL issues or infection which needs a gynecological checkup including an ultrasound scan.

Hope my answer helps you... feel free to ask further.

--------------------------------------------------------

Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

If the test comes as positive it can be a missed abortion and you definitely need to consult a Gynaecologist to confirm completion of abortion.

If not, then the cause for delay and excessive bleeding needs to sort out.