Is using Visine eye drops once or twice a week for eye redness harmful?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, I’ve been reading a lot online about visine and how safe it is to use. I understand that it basically shrinks your blood vessels in your eyes to make your eyes not look red. So I know that it would make a bad form of treatment for something like dry eyes or allergies. I’ve also understood that with regular use can cause issues like your eyes becoming dependant on it or your eyes may be rebounding after use. But my intended use is strictly to make my eyes not appear red and would probably only be using once to twice a week. Would this be bad for me?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe to use.

Detailed Answer:

Tetryzoline, is basically a decongestant. But its regular use can make you addicted to it. But using it twice or thrice a week won't make any difference or cause any harm.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Ophthalmologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana