Is uric acid level of 8.9 a cause for concern?

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I had a knee pain (Right Leg) started since last few weeks.
Uric Acids Content shows 8.9 in this month report.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen, diet, orthopedician if symptoms persists.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Normal uric acid levels are 3.5 and 7.2 mg/dL. It may be related to attacks of gout or the development of kidney stones. But most people with high uric acid levels don't have any symptoms or related problems.

Usually the first joint to be affected in Gout is the great toe. It can also affect the knee, hands, toes, ankles and wrists.

Gout knee should be considered when the knee suddenly becomes hot, painful, red and swollen. According to your symptoms it is there from few weeks, so Gout knee is unlikely. But there are other causes such as Osteoarthritis that is wear and tear of knee joint which can cause knee pain.

You can try home remedies such as pain killer like ibuprofen. Elevate your joint to help reduce swelling and avoid strenuous activity. Ice packs also help relieve pain. Avoid foods such as meat, alcohol, seafood, oily fish, pulses and spinach. Fruits like banana, apple, pineapple.

In case your symptoms persists or worsens it is best to meet a orthopedician for further examination and treatment.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana