question-icon

Is upper calf pain related with bakers cyst?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014
Question: My doctor thinks I have a bakers cyst. I have some pain sometimes in my upper calf and sometimes what feels like a cramp in the upper part of my calf. Could these be caused by the cyst? This seems to happen whenever I have been sitting with my knee bent or if my leg is extended or stretched out. I an awaiting diagnostic test results, but it may be a day or two before I get the results.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, upper calf pain can be related with Bakers cyst, especially if it is large cyst. Such calf cramp can be also caused by Magnesium and Potassium deficiency. That is why I suggest you to try Magnesium and Potassium supplementation in the meanwhile.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon