• question-icon

Is unilateral weakness in the leg a sign of nerve injury?

Posted on Thu, 11 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi there,

I have noticed that my right leg feels weaker (my preferred foot) and I have had this feeling since I did a 22km run October 2016. I don't have tenderness or notable pain, but the leg and foot feel weaker. I notice when I walk, and stand, my right foot points away from my left (toe-out). My toes also feel sort of floaty is the way I'd describe it, and light buzzing occasionally. I can stand on this leg but with much more difficulty than my left leg. I also note that when I am lying on my back, my right leg hangs over towards my outer side. I've been to doctor and physiotherapist (about 2 months ago) they think it is a nerve injury somewhere in my lower back. I can feel something in my lower left back on the right side, a sensation rather than a pain, like its being worked.

I pass all the nerve strength tests, but it does feel much weaker. I notice weak things compared to my left leg like the following:
Difficulty raising big toe (can raise but calf is flexed, whereas left leg calf is not flexed)
Leg always falls to outside
Inner thing on right side appears weaker than left, can feel it work much more
Harder to stand on right leg than left
right foot points toe-out
fat pad under right foot appears smaller than left foot
Also, i note the right foot has tiny twitches quite frequently

I am more worried that I am losing the ability of the nerve and may result in permanent full function loss of leg (somehow, I may be overreacting).
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get a MRI and Nerve conduction velocity tests.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopedic Surgeon.

I have gone through the details. It seems that you have problem in both legs. No definite diagnosis can be arrived at on the basis of your symptoms, except that it all is originating probably in back.

I suggest you get MRI of lower and middle back + NCV (nerve conduction Velocity) of both legs to arrive at a diagnosis. We can Discuss the MRI pics Later.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon