Is ulnar nerve sugery using cable grafting successful?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: HELLO DOCTOR,
I AM A 46 FEMALE ABOUT 5"8'', 250 LBS. IN FAIRLY GOOD HEALTH. ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO MY ARM WENT THRU A GLASS WINDOW & APPARENTLY SEVERED MY ULNA NERVE. i HAD SURGERY ON JULY 14TH WHERE THE SURGEON REPAIRED THE ULNAR NERVE USING CABLE GRAFTING WITH A NERVE FROM MY LEG. IS THIS SURGERY SUCCESSFUL- IF IT DOESN'T WORK WILL I LOSE COMPLETE USE OF MY HAND. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU. XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
IS THE ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVES TO HAVE A FUNCTIONING HAND- IF THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK- I AM IN OT NOW-SORRY FOR THE MANY QUESTIONS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Be positve. If the procedure of nerve grafting was done soon after the injury, there are good chances that your nerve will recover and you will get back all the functions of your hand back.

If at all there is mild or partial recovery, then physiotherapy and TENS- electrical nerve stimulations might help in some recovery of the nerve function. Physiotherapy also plays an important role in rehabilitation.

Surgery is definitely the best option and provides a full recovery. Rest of the treatments only assure of a partial rehabilitation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
i have already had the surgery. is cable grafting of the ulnar nerve using a nerve from my leg usually successful. Both the hand surgeon & nuerologist say it usually won't work but I have my health on my side. If this doesn't work- will I lose complete function of my hand and is there another operation they can perform to gain some funtction in my hand. The surgeon said that the nerve was servered 3"inches thats the reason for the cable graft. Thank you in advance for you feedback. Also, do you believe in mind over matter?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

In neurological injuries, research has shown that persistence and hope are two factors which do play an important role in recovery of nerve functions.

We do come across such cases in our daily life.

Even if the chances of recovery are less, still all the hand functions will not be lost. The main function affected is extension of fingers and hand.

The tightening of the tendons sometimes helps in carrying out many functions or at least makes the appearance of hand normal.

Muscle strengthening exercises and physiotherapy also improves the movements.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Manju M