question-icon

Is triple antibiotic ointment the right medication for sores on buttocks?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: I have fluid leaking soars on my buttocks, I have put triple antibiotic ointment, is that enough?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You need thorough surgical dressing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
By your history and description, possibility of skin infection is more in your case.
Buttocks are common site for this due to
1. Constant perspiration and moisture.
2. A lot of hair in this area.
The fluid is mostly pus. And if you don't remove all the pus, it will definitely recur.
So you need thorough surgical dressing with removal of all pus under observation of doctor and packing of wounds with antiseptic solution like betadine.
You need culture and sensitivity of fluid (pus) to guide antibiotic therapy.
Are you having diabetes?
Are you taking proper hygienic care of your genitals?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist